Monday, April 26, 2010

And then there were five...

Six if you count the dog, which my kids do.

Anyway, it all started Saturday night. I just wasn't feeling well. By Sunday morning I thought I might be having contractions, but since I wasn't sure I went to church anyway, and taught my Sunbeam class. Later we went to the in-laws for dinner. I made sure I had my hospital bag, and overnight stuff for the kids, just in case.
Good thing because although my contractions seemed to slow, my water broke at about 6:30. We rushed to the hospital and he was born at 10:29 pm, two weeks and five days early. He weighed 7lbs 10 oz, and was 20 inches long. The delivery was quick and easy, except for the fact that I went from a 6 to a 10 in less than 45 minutes. My epidural couldn't keep up, so I felt some pretty intense contractions as well as most of the delivery.
Because I tested postive for Strep B, and was on antibiotic for less than four hours, they tested the baby for infection. He tested borderline, so they treated him with antibiotic just to be safe. This landed him in the NICU for a minimum of 48 hours.
While in the NICU he had a few episodes of turning blue from not breathing. Eventually they realized he had reflux, which was causing the breathing issue. He also had an EKG because his resting heart rate was so low. Turns out he just has a low resting heart rate. The nurse said he thinks he is Lance Armstrong.
On Thursday night, after four days in NICU we got to bring him home on a low dose of Oxygen and a monitor just in case the reflux caused him to stop breathing again.
We have loved having him home. He is a pretty mellow baby. He eats well, and sleeps well. The kids are really loving him. Unfortunately Junior has a bit of a cold, which has caused some Asthma. Husband was up all night with him the first night we were home giving him breathing treatments. Anyhow, we have had to keep him away from the baby. Pinkie has been a big help and loves helping do everything, especially choosing clothes and pajamas.
We went to the Dr. today and got the OK to remove the oxygen, and only turn on the monitor at night. We will have to take some more pictures soon without the tubes.

Thanks to everyone for all of their help. Our moms have been great at helping out, and our neighbors have kept our fridge stocked with food. We are so excited to have him here, and have the first week behind us.

10 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow! It's amazing how fast that went for me, since I don't get to see you! Congrats, I am so happy he is doing better. Having to monitor etc... I know first hand. A lot of fun! Glad that he keeps improving.

He is adorable even with the tubes! What did you end up naming him? I sure hope that you are doing well! Congratulations, again! I wish I could come visit and help you out also!

m e l said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! We've been waiting to hear word on this little one. Sounds like a rough go with him afterwards. Poor little guy - and yes, he was a little one - yay! Wish we could be there to help you out - sounds like you have good neighbors though! Take care!!

Wilkinson Family said...

CONGRATS!!! He is adorable!!! Love all that hair :) Glad he is doing better.

Angela said...

Congratulations! He is adorable, love that hair and I am glad he is doing better!

Bonny said...

awwww! my baby is huge! can't wait 'til they can play together!

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diana said...

Molly!!! My ovaries just did backflips looking at this darling new little baby boy of yours!! How precious. So glad you're all home and together now. Congrats to all of you... he's so sweet!

dixon.mary said...

He is perfect ! I LOVE his hair -- from your side or Kory's?

Congrats!

Carrie said...

Oh Molly...he's gorgeous! What a blessing, cute, cute, cute!

Ashlee said...

Molly, He's so stinking cute!!!!
I can't believe I still haven't seen him. I'd better get over there soon.