Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Childhood and Change

So lately I have been thinking how things have changed since I was a kid.

One of my favorite things growing up was playing at the pond. It is only a few blocks from my parents house, and we would walk there often to play. We loved to feed the ducks. Well now that same park looks more like an amusement park when you count up the people, and the ducks who used to follow you everywhere for your old, dry, crusty bread just swim away when you throw food at them because a googillion people have already fed them. We tried it anyway this weekend.

Maybe this picture says it all. My one year old loves to listen to his dad's ipod. Who would have guessed that small would be so cool. I remember when I was a teenager and my sister Jenny got a really big stereo. That was cool then, remember? I don't think I have ever been cool because I never had a big stereo, nor do I now own a small mp3 player of any kind. Ok my phone does play music, but it was handed down by Jenny, so I just mooch the music she put on it. I don't even know a cool song, or a cool singer.

I guess good old bubbles haven't changed much. Yesterday was so summery, we wore shorts and flip flops, played in water, rode in the wagon, got sunburned, caught a caterpillar, turned off the heater, opened the windows. Today it is snowing.


We bought Pinkie her first Book of Mormon over the weekend, only she will correct you and call it her "scriptures." I can't believe how excited she was for her own copy. It felt good that she knew how special they were. She looked at all of the pictures, and told us about each one. I did hear her however, telling my mom that the picture of Samuel the Lamanite was a man trying to kill Jesus. She is a little obsessed with the Jesus dying thing. This picture is of her randomly deciding to read her scriptures yesterday. After all of this excitement, I did have to take them away from her after she threw them at me. She really needed a nap at that point.

2 comments:

Bonny said...

wow great stories and great pics. I love that of Junior with his head phones...and baseball shirt. so cute. Pinkie is precious. I miss feeding the ducks.

Abbey said...

hey I think this is my first comment ever! I like the pic at the pond. I have a blog now so if you have nothing better to do come on over to smokinhotmama.blogspot.com!!!