Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Newberry Books

Over the past week or so, I have read two great books. Both happen to have been Newberry books. The first one I read was The Giver by Lois Lowry. My sister Bonny recommended this book, and it was great food for thought. Having said that, it may be a good Thanksgiving weekend read, in case you don't get enough belly food, you could fill up with some brain food.

The other book I read was The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare. This would also be a great Thanksgiving read. It is about a white boy and an Indian. There is even a feast in this book, and the boy grows his own corn.

These two books have inspired me to choose more books from the Newberry list. These books are written for older children, so they are clean and have a good feeling to them. They are also not too long, so you can eat one up on a Sunday afternoon if your children are sleeping.

1 comment:

Bonny said...

Yes! Glad you liked The Giver. One of my fav books of all time. I'll definitely have to read....whatever that other one was.